Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Weekend without Running

Hello Runners!,
Well, this past weekend was by no means successful when it comes to training for a fast mile.  84 miles on the bike will do that to a person.  With the ride on Saturday, I had a planned rest day on Sunday; I then had an unplanned rest day Monday, as well as Tuesday.  


I woke up Sunday tired.  I could feel a deep fatigue in my legs.  The outsides of my knees were a little sore too.  I managed to make it though a day of family activities, it was after all, Father's Day.  I just felt that everything I did on Sunday was slow... walking, eating, talking, even thinking.  Ugh.  I knew I needed more rest.  An early night on Sunday and I woke up Monday morning with terrible pain on the outside of my right knee.  My left knee, fine.  My right knee, not so much.  I could barely bend my leg.  I knew right away that I would not be running.  I also had a pretty good idea of what was causing my leg pain... ITBS.  ITBS is Iliotibial Band Syndrome.  The IT band runs down along the outside of your leg, from hip to knee.  Often times a tight IT band can cause knee or hip pain.  Monday became a pretty useless day.  I tried to stay off my feet as much as possible and massaged the heck out of my IT band every couple of hours.  Tuesday was better.  I could still feel a bit of tightness but I had much more mobility.  I decided to take Tuesday off as well.  Hey - it's better safe than sorry.  I didn't want to severely injure myself.  I just had to remind myself that it's OK to sacrifice short-term/daily goals to keep the long-term goal in mind.  


Today I felt good when I awoke.  I quick little massage of the IT Band and I was confident I could get in a run.  It was ridiculously hot (no surprise there) but I managed to do a nice easy 4 mile run.  With a little post-run massage I'm quite confident that I managed to curb my IT band tightness.  That being said, I've had IT Band issues in the past (almost a year ago exactly) and I know this can be a re-occurring problem.  My plans is to "keep an eye on" my IT Band.  By that I'll be doing an easy warm-up, cool-down and massage after each run for the next few weeks.  I'm also going to incorporate some IT-Band strengthening exercises in the future.  Tomorrow I'm planning on hitting up the track again with a moderate speed workout.  Keeping my fingers crossed that all stays well.  That's all for tonight, good night and good luck... running that is!  

No comments:

Post a Comment