Thursday, May 10, 2012

Slow Jimmy's - Round 2

Hello Runners!
Yesterday was a 7 miler, today was another round of Slow Jimmy's.  I rolled myself out to the Neenah High track around 11am.  Legs tired, joints sore, I've been a bit lethargic the last 2 days.  Regardless, it was time to do some speed work.  I met up with Jay at the track.  We did a 1.5 mile warm-up through Memorial Park.  Then, crunch time.  Slow Jimmy's, here we come!  It was a perfect day for running.  Low 60's and virtually no wind.  I ran 6 Slow Jimmy's today, two sets of 3 with a half mile recovery jog in between the sets.  First Jimmy, 82 sec.  I've now decided I'm a notoriously slow starter.  My first mile, repetition, sprint, etc. are always slow.  It just takes my body a while to get up to speed... no pun intended.  I basically ran consistent 79's after the first.  The final breakdown:
Set 1: 82, 80, 79
Set 2: 79, 79, 79


Overall I'm quite happy with how I ran the workout, but I need to start to work on building more speed (that will come after next weekend's half marathon).  I didn't feel any less exhausted after this workout than I did last week.  As a matter of fact, I think I was more exhausted.  Jay struggled too.  It's ok because this is all part of training.  There are good days and bad days.  There are even good days that feel like bad days.  Sometimes as a runner you may think you had a bad day but upon reflection, you realized that you battled through pain and mental fatigue.  You completed your workout even though it would have been so easy to just cut the workout short, or even quit.  Being able to fight through difficult days will help you to be a better runner in the future; stronger, faster, mentally sound.


I celebrated Thursday's workout with a Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat beer.  It was delicious. That's all for tonight everyone, good night and good luck... running that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment