Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mile Training has Begun

Hello Runners!
I have taken a short hiatus from blogging.  I didn't make a post all of last week after the half marathon.  To be honest, I really didn't have anything significant to write about.  Last week was a recovery week from the half marathon.  I ran 4 days last week, only about 22 miles total.  I just needed my legs to recover a bit so I didn't do any hard workouts.  This week however, is a different story.


It all started with a hot and sticky 9 mile run on Memorial Day.  It was an exact copy of the weather at the Green Bay Half Marathon the previous weekend (85+ and humid and windy).  I took it easy and grinded out the 9 miler.  I would like to think that at this point in my training I would have no problem running 9 miles, but on occasion it turns out to be difficult.


Yesterday I got back into doing tempo runs.  I'm shortening up my tempo distance, but trying to increase pace.  Yesterday I ran a 2 mile tempo at 6:25 pace.  I was quite pleased with the pace considering there were sustained 20+mph winds.  After doing about 1 mile easy cool-down, I decided to run a hard quarter.  I wasn't near the track so I had to use my GPS watch to monitor distance.  Because of this, it's hard to judge speed and distance remaining without constantly looking at my watch.  I ended up running a 75 sec quarter, but I think I could have gone a little faster if I was on the track  In total I ran 6.5 miles Tuesday. 


Today I did a 7.5 mile run at a moderate pace.  The weather was perfect for distance running.  Mid 50's, little wind, and overcast.  I felt good after about 3 miles so I picked up the pace for the remaining 4, averaging sub 7:30 for the last half of the run.  It didn't feel exhausting or difficult at all.  I love days like today!


Tomorrow I'm planning on running another timed mile, my first in more than a month.  I'm not quite sure if I'll see improvement from last month's time, but it's ok.  I'll be doing a few consecutive weeks of hard training, so tomorrow's mile is just more training to help me build my middle-distance speed and strength.  I'll be happy if all my quarters fall between 80-85 sec.  


Hopefully I'll have more in the coming weeks about setting up a good training plan.  Right now I'm just sort of flying by the seat of my pants.  I also realize that this blog needs more pictures, so I'm going to see if I can't post a few pics each week.  Here's to hoping tomorrow's run goes well!  Good night, and good luck... running that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment