Sunday, May 20, 2012

An Ugly Race

Hello Runners!
Well, the half marathon didn't go so well.  The temps were up, and so was the humidity.  I really thought that I was in good enough shape that I wouldn't have to back off my pace too much, despite the heat.  I was wrong.  The race started off good, the pace was comfortable and I felt fine.  However, by about mile 3 I was starting to feel sluggish.  Oh no.  Immediately after the mile 4 marker there was a bit of a hill.  My legs bit it hard, and I started struggling.  Not good.  4+ miles into the half and already my legs felt spent.  I backed off my pace and tried to relax.  It didn't work too well.  For whatever reason I was even feeling tightness in my upper back/shoulders.  Finally just after mile 7 I stopped and walked for about a minute to catch my breath and relax.  It's the first time I've ever walked in a half marathon.  Anyway, after the short walk I just cruised into the finish, walking another 2 times for about 1 minute each.  I finished the race about 8 minutes off my goal time, nearly 13 minutes slower than my PR.  As a matter of fact, it was my slowest half marathon ever.  My heart really went out to the full marathon runners, however, because they were out in the heat for a heck of a long time.  Then, about 2.5 hours into the race, the Green Bay race director and coordinators decided to cancel the race.  All marathoners were asked to vacate the course and the finish line was taken down.  It turns out the emergency services were pushed to their limits.  Too many people were dropping out and requiring medical attention.  It was an ugly, ugly day for a marathon.  It was a difficult decision to cancel a race, but I think it was the right one.  As a marathoner, it must have been incredibly difficult knowing that your months of training were for naught.


Now for the good news:  The Green Bay Marathon serves beer at the finish.  And brats.  Well, let me tell you, I DEFINITELY had to partake.  A couple of beers and a nice brat after a race feels oh-so-good!  In funny news:  Jay won the Clydesdale division (for male runners 200+ lbs).  Congrats for Jay.  He said that award is a constant reminder to get OUT of the Clydesdale division.  Alright, so the race didn't go so well.  Time to move on and concentrate on what is really important now: going sub-5.   

No comments:

Post a Comment